Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Are you nervous? A little… Are you? Yes, quite!



This was the conversation between Vinita di (the home director) and I as we sat on the bed after I unpacked, bundled in fleeces and scarves, warming our hands in our pockets. It was a sober moment as we contemplated that within another week or two we could actually have a few children living in the home, with all the controlled chaos that comes with it—the cooking, cleaning, the daily routines of getting them bathed and dressed, to and from school, enforcing homework, play time, prayer time and bed time. Not to mention the emotional struggles the girls will go through. So here is Vinita, a strong, go-getter woman of God, a progressive pioneer of ministry to whom many look up, a wise spiritual leader through whose hands the Lord has done miracles…and then there’s me. In that moment I felt the awesome kinship that exists in the body of C, a reminder that before the Lord we are all the same—wholly dependent, working things out “with fear and trembling.”

On Sunday night before I came to this new home, I sat in my living room surrounded by four friends. It was dark except for the glow of a computer screen that played worship music. While the girls prayed over me, I realized that in my first three months here I hardly knew any of them. So many people came out of nowhere when I needed them the most. Afterward I said, "You girls have been God's way of taking care of me this past month." During this time, He gave a family to host me, a family for Christmas, and some new roommates and lots of fun social time. Now things will be totally different, but His care will be just the same.

Last night I cooked in a kitchen that some ladies and I had scrubbed mud out of for seven hours. Adono and I had a cooking quiz. We made sabjee (a veggie/potato mix) and chipotes. The first time I tried to flip the flat, round dough straight onto the stove’s flame with my hands, I got scared of the fire and ended up flinging the chipote across the counter. Anyway, the meal got positive results along with some constructive criticism. Next time, less salt and oil (my stomach is paying for it now.)

Living in this home will be another round of culture shock for me. I’ll learn to live with Indians, with Indian habits, an Indian diet and an Indian ministry budget. I’ll sometimes ride the busses and metro. I’ve been instructed to conserve electricity (limited entertainment) and water (i.e. taking a shower and doing laundry via bucket). I definitely plan on hiding a stash of what I’ll call “sanity snacks” in my room. But I’m thankful for the challenging simplicity and the opportunity for spiritual focus that it brings.

Adono and I are trying to get into a routine—eventually we’ll have to wake up at 5:30am each week day. Last night, Vinita di took us for a walk around the neighborhood markets to learn where we can get things. It’s quite safe and convenient. (But some days I just wish I could walk into Target.)

Yesterday during outreach, my colleague actually talked to Arpita’s “father” on the phone. She is ready to go any day. It seems the Lord is ready to begin this exodus into the Suraksha [Protection] Children's Home. Is the house ready? Are we?

Well, ready or not……


2 comments: