
I'm blogging from an airport on the other side of the world in the middle of the night. I always used to feel this envious sense of awe when people I knew did that. They seemed all mysterious and adventurous. I'd be like, "You're so cool." Well, now I AM one of those people. Except, I'm still a dork. I didn't say I am cool, I just feel cool.
I just spent 5 days in Sri Lanka tagging along with my friend's VISA run. I'm in the airport waiting for my 3:20am flight to Delhi with a connection in Chennai. The terminal is lined with Christmas trees and lights, and that jazzy department-store Christmas music is playing on repeat. Some people would say that seeing a Christmas tree in warm weather next to palm trees just isn't right, but I'm pretty obsessed with palm trees and tropical settings, so I'm alright.
This little land under India is achingly beautiful. Riding in a taxi down the coast to visit one of the well-known beaches one day, Lucia and I both leaned on our elbows blissfully staring at the scenery. No sound was heard besides the wind and the frequent snapping of our cameras, trying to capture, for example, an overturned boat resting on the sand, or a row of shacks right up against the beach. Inward the land is the most lush with green I have ever seen. We also took a day trip that climbed above sea level a bit, where we walked through a heavenly spice garden (good smell) and rode an elephant (bad smell.)
But all of these experiences are overshadowed by that of my last day here, where I was taken in by a local family that a friend in India connected me with. The daugther's name is Michelle also, and we played guitar together, watched a movie, walked around town, and ate awesome food with her parents and sister. I was so touched by their hospitality, and I felt so at home with them, that leaving them I thought I might shed a tear! Despite the adventures, when I think of my time in Sri Lanka, I will think of this connection made. Praise Him that He takes care of us and gives us family wherever we go.
Oh India, so much has happened with you lately, and I've been slacking on the blog updates. Now you are overshadowed by Sri Lanka. Don't worry, I'll be back soon and do you justice.

No comments:
Post a Comment