Thursday, October 15, 2009

pa rum pum pum pum



"In different times and in different ways, our heavenly Father offers us a simple proposition: Follow me beyond what you can control, beyond where your own strength and competencies can take you, and beyond what is affirmed or risked by the crowd--and you will experience me and my power and my wisdom and my love.
J beckons me to follow him to that place of weakness where I risk the vulnerability of a child so that I might know how strong my Father is and how much he loves me.
But truth be told, I would rather be an adult. I'd rather be in a place where I can still pull things together if God doesn't show up, where I risk no humiliation, where I don't have to take the shallow breaths of desperation." - Gary Haugen, Just Courage Quote #1

The concept in this quote has been very real to me in India. Coming from a place where I was so good and confident at my job, I have had to become like a little child again. I’m learning to apply my skills within new contexts, treading through mistakes, often breathing that sigh of “desperation” mixed with determination when faced with a task.

Last week we attended a camp with a Delhi school. Back in the US, I used to get so annoyed that youth camp planning people never thought sleep was important in the schedule. Well, the Indian youth camp planning people are even worse! It was a 6am-10pm day of, literally, non-stop activity. If we had some down time, it was because we stole it, often sneaking upstairs to our stash of "western" snacks, because who eats rice and dal for breakfast even? During the days, we only had little idea of what our responsibilities were—it seemed like we were on call to lead a song, game, or activity at a moment’s notice. All I have to say is thank the Lord Ali knew some Origami. And in fact, the worship team lost its guitar player last minute, so I filled in and learned a bunch of new songs “real quick.” It is nerve-racking and exhilarating to be in a place where you kiiiinda know what you’re doing, but you have no choice then to STEP UP! Such is India.

My favorite moments were 1) when a spontaneous dance party happened on the patio, and we were swept into a crowd of Indian kids who seemed quite entertained by our attempts to imitate their folk dance moves. And 2) we took the kids on a hike to a river, and when Delhi kids see clean water, they go nuts, because go nuts they did, and I could not escape the splashing or chasing. Soon, Ali and I just lay in the shallow water in our clothes. Not that we weren’t craving to feel it zip us up--when it comes to swim-able bodies of water, we usually start drooling.

It was a pretty incredible camp, and God moved in powerful ways. I was so weak and tired when I got home =)

With my guitar, with my skills, with my feeble heart, I sometimes feel like The Little Drummer Boy. Not only is that my favorite Christmas song besides O Holy Night, it is on my list of just—favorite songs.

(Insert pa rum pum pum pum after each line if you wish)

Little baby
I am a poor boy too
I have no gift to bring
That’s fit to give a King
Shall I play for You
On my drum?
(Or my 6-string?)

No comments:

Post a Comment